Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chances are, I would rather read...

Let me give you some examples. These are the things that, instead of being/going there, I would rather read a book. 

Parties
Clubs
Weddings (shudder)
Holiday events
Bridal showers
Baby showers
Amusement Parks
Water parks (shudder...pretty much on par with weddings)
Any pool activities
Any sporting events 

Essentially, the list goes on and on. I go to these things typically out of obligation, and a driving need to be there to celebrate whatever is going on for the person I love. 

My point...I really love books. I love reading them, owning them, holding them (still totally creeped out by the kindle/nook thing). I always have a book in my bag, so when I am waiting or going on a break or whatever, I can just pull it out and read a few pages. It's comforting. For me, books are up there on the list of important things in my life. 

So is it any surprise that when I go to the laundry mat, I am going to bring a book with me while I am waiting for my clothes to wash/dry? And is it that much crazier that I would have/put earplugs in my ears, to drown out the very loud noise of the several televisions in the laundry mat? (Yes, I carry earplugs around. It's not that weird!) I was minding my own business. I was not being rude, or distasteful, or loud. I pleasantly put earplugs in my ears, so that I could concentrate enough to read my book. YET, I received several dirty looks from a man sitting across the room from me. And several shakes of his head. Like I was handing a saw to a five year old. 

I just smiled at him. Broadly. 

He looked away. 

I might be the nerd who carries around books and earplugs everywhere, but no one is going to make me feel bad about who I am. I like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment